• Welcome to The Prose Stylist!
  • 'This week: The Phenomenal Woman Week
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Title: Week One: Pilgrim at Tinker Creek
Thread Modes
Week One Sentence and Paragraph Prompts
All quotes from Annie Dillard's Pilgrim at Tinker Creek.
Please use the following prose prompts for inspiration or instruction. Or, if they don't work for you, share with us a sentence or paragraph - one paragraph - that you wrote today, even if it has nothing to do with the prompts.

Monday:
Quote:"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside by a generous hand. But- and this is the point- who gets excited by a mere penny? But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted in pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days."

Tuesday:
Quote:"The texture of space is a condition of time. Time is the warp and matter the weft of the woven texture of beauty in space, and death is the hurtling shuttle."

Wednesday:
Quote:"When her doctor took her bandages off and led her into the garden, the girl who was no longer blind saw, “the tree with the lights in it.” It was for this tree I searched through the peach orchards of summer, in the forests of fall and down winter and spring for years. Then one day I was walking along Tinker creek and thinking of nothing at all and I saw the tree with the lights in it. I saw the backyard cedar where the mourning doves roost charged and transfigured, each cell buzzing with flame. I stood on the grass with the lights in it, grass that was wholly fire, utterly focused and utterly dreamed. It was less like seeing than like being for the first time seen, knocked breathless by a powerful glance. The flood of fire abated, but I’m still spending the power. Gradually the lights went out in the cedar, the colors died, the cells un-flamed and disappeared. I was still ringing. I had been my whole life a bell and never knew it until at that moment I was lifted and struck. I have since only very rarely seen the tree with the lights in it. The vision comes and goes, mostly goes, but I live for it, for the moment the mountains open and a new light roars in spate through the crack, and the mountains slam."

Thursday:
Quote:"I am a fugitive and a vagabond, a sojourner seeking signs."

Friday:
Quote:"I cannot cause light; the most I can do is try to put myself in the path of its beam. It is possible, in deep space, to sail on solar wind. Light, be it particle or wave, has force: you can rig a giant sail and go. The secret of seeing is to sail on solar wind. Hone and spread your spirit till you yourself are a sail, whetted, translucent, broadside to the merest puff."
For all it brightens and uplifts, love casts a long shadow.

Messages In This Thread
Week One: Pilgrim at Tinker Creek - by Lord Regent - 12-27-2019, 06:06 PM
RE: Week One: - by Lord Regent - 12-27-2019, 06:07 PM