• Welcome to The Prose Stylist!
  • We might be small, but we are feisty.
  • Please look around at a tiny sample of what our group offers.
  • There is no advertising on TPS,
  • and the group is free and fun for everyone.
  • Join us today.
  • You just might find something beautiful!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Title: The Description Challenge
Thread Modes
Beginning March 1st, The Prose Stylist will be hosting The Thirty Days of Description Challenge. Thirty prompts in thirty days to challenge you. Are you writer enough?
Prizes and surprises.
Join to find out the details.

Smile
For all it brightens and uplifts, love casts a long shadow.

Sample Description Prompt:

Quote: Wrote:The Stendhal Syndrome is a psychosomatic condition involving rapid heartbeat, fainting, confusion and even hallucinations, allegedly occurring when individuals become exposed to objects or phenomena of great beauty.

A description by Stendhal himself:

Quote: Wrote:“I was in a sort of ecstasy, from the idea of being in Florence, close to the great men whose tombs I had seen. Absorbed in the contemplation of sublime beauty … I reached the point where one encounters celestial sensations… Everything spoke so vividly to my soul. Ah, if I could only forget. I had palpitations of the heart, what in Berlin they call ‘nerves’. Life was drained from me. I walked with the fear of falling.”

Basic Challenge:
Write a description of a character experiencing the Stendhal syndrome.

Target: 100 to 300 words.

Honors level:
No Filter words (See, hear, feel, think, touch, wonder, realize, watch, look, seem, etc)

Please remember:
Participation is more important than perfection or following the rules to the letter.
Please feel free to pass on praise or comments about other's exercises, but no critiquing.

Smile
Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

This sounds very interesting. I'll start writing for a few minutes everyday to get my mind working for it. And of course, I'll sharpen my pencil!

30 Days of Description begins in seven days.

For every participant, I will add $10 to the pot up to a maximum of $300. If ten people participate, that's a pot of $100. If twenty people participate, that's a pot of $200.

The winners (all those who post 30 responses on time and on target) will divide up the money evenly. If less than three members complete the challenge, the prize money will be divided up according to the level of participation of the top finishers. The winners will be paid in Amazon (or similar) gift cards via email.

Please allow me one week to tally up the winners after the challenge is over and send out the prizes.

The rules are subject to change should problems or disagreements arise with unreasonable people.

Do we need rules? I guess so. So the rules so far(TBC if needed):
No cheating (plagiarism, etc)
Treat everyone on TPS with respect

Any questions?

LORE
For all it brightens and uplifts, love casts a long shadow.